Other Big 12 Teams
- Nebraska offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf
- Randy Gregory to enter draft
- What a crazy year for Nebraska Football
- Nebraska and Miami battle it out in Lincoln
- Nebraska rolls past Florida Atlantic
- Three Nebraska Football night games announced
- Statement from athletic director and my quick thoughts
- UCLA embarrasses Nebraska 41-21
- Nebraska survives 37-34 against Wyoming
- I’m ready for some football!
- Thoughts heading into the 2013 season
- It’s Nebraska vs Wisconsin in the Big 10 Championship
- Thoughts on the Huskers season so far
- Big10 releases schedules for 2015 and 2016
- Aaron Green set to transfer from Nebraska
So things sure didn’t turn out how Coach Pelini, the players or the fans wanted at the end of the season. An embarrassing loss to Wisconsin in the Big 10 Championship and then a tough battle against Georgia in the Capital One bowl left the Huskers with a 10-4 overall record for the 2012 season. Definitely not where the program needs to be.
It will be interesting to see where the sports betting sites list the Huskers as far as odds go. Are they still a top 3-4 team in the B1G 10? Will the odds be in their favor with the schedule pointing to good opportunities? It will be fun to see where they come out but I would think towards the top but behind Ohio State.
I do like where the offense should be. Plenty of starters are are returning and it will be another year for Tim Beck to grow as an offensive coordinator. Taylor Martinez will be back for his Senior year but will be without Rex Burckhead and the two tight ends Ben Cotton and Tyler Reed.
I am not worried at the running back position. Tight end, it would be nice to see a younger guy show up and take over the spot. The job will be open and a couple of those young guys are going to have to step up. It’s really too bad the coaching staff wasn’t able to reel in a juco tight end commitment.
Where things do get scary is when you look on the defensive side of the ball. I see open competitions at almost every position. Once again, it will be young guys that will have to be plugged in and thrown into the battle early. It’s time to get speed on the field and play the guys that can take good angles and make an open field tackle.
Can the defensive line establish some depth? I sure hope the few juco d-line guys come in in good shape and ready from the get go. We need to see a much improved d-line play and have depth behind them to really control teams in the second half.
So looking back at the 2012 season, there were definitely up and downs. The loss at UCLA hurt, come back wins were nice, but it just wasn’t that dominating season that us Husker fans wanted to see. The 14 points loss to Georgia in the bowl game wasn’t as bad as the score shows so I really hope the guys come into 2013 thinking they can play with anyone. It’s the attitude that they need to win a B1G Championship and win a BCS bowl game.
Let’s hope this is a good offseason with good conditioning and the coaching staff remain in recruiting mode. I can’t wait until Spring ball and then the start of the 2013 season. GO BIG RED!